Events from Fall 2021:
Sept 14: Worth and the Current Crisis of American Society
Joint session with the Weatherhead Center's Cluster on Comparative Inequality and Inclusion
Purely Entertainment Versus Social Activism: The Challenges of Fostering Recognition and Inclusion in Hollywood and Comedy
- Nicole Letourneau, Derek Robey, Michele Lamont
Imagining Plausible Futures: Braiding Cultural Repertoires when Facing Uncertainty
- Shira Zilberstein, Michele Lamont, Mari Sanchez
How American College Students Understand Social Resilience during Covid and the Movement for Racial Justice: Toward a Processual Approach
- Mari Sanchez, Michele Lamont, Shira Zilberstein
*Sept 15: From the Job’s Worth to the Person’s Price: The Transformation of Organizational Pay Practices since 1950
Laura Adler, Doctoral Student in Sociology, Harvard University
*Joint session with Harvard's Economic Sociology Seminar on Wednesday from 4-5:30 PM. This special event is only open to the on-campus Harvard community and will be held in 1550 WJH.
Sept 28: 'What we do' or 'Who we are'? Personal Essentialism and the Persistence of Gender Inequality
Allison Daminger, Doctoral Student in Sociology, Harvard University
Oct 12 Virtual ONLY: Race, Beauty, and Bodily Capital in a Comparative Perspective
Joint session with Harvard Sociology's Race & Ethnicity Workshop
- Giselinde Kuipers, Research Professor of Sociology, KULeuven, Belgium
- Alka Menon, Assistant Professor of Sociology, Yale University
- Ellis Monk, Associate Professor of Sociology, Harvard University
Nostalgic Colorblindness and Projective Anti-Racism: Divergent Racial Schema in White Residents in the United States and Canada
- Derek Robey, Doctoral Student in Sociology, Harvard University
Crafting the Message: the Data Science Behind U.S. Presidential Elections
- Bo Yun Park, Postdoctoral Researcher, UC Berkeley D-Lab
Nov 23: Virtual ONLY Contemporary Art and Evaluation Panel
- Larissa Buchholz, Assistant Professor of Communication Studies, Northwestern University
- James Riley, Assistant Professor of Business Administration, Organizational Behavior Unit, Harvard Business School
- Hannah Wohl, Assistant Professor of Sociology, University of California, Santa Barbara
Nov 30: Virtual ONLY New Research on the Intersection of Culture and Organizations
- Curtis Chan, Assistant Professor of Management & Organizations, Boston College Carroll School of Management
- Ryann Manning, Assistant Professor of Organizational Behavior and HR Management, Rotman School of Management
- Lauren Rivera, Professor of Management & Organizations and Professor of Sociology (courtesy), Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University
Events from Fall 2020:
October 6, 2020
Contemporary Public Sphere Panel
- Ari Adut, Associate Professor of Sociology, The University of Texas at Austin
- Eve Ewing, Assistant Professor in the University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration
- Doug Hartmann, Professor and Chair of Sociology, University of Minnesota
- Evan Stewart, Assistant Professor of Sociology, University of Massachusetts Boston
- Iddo Tavory, Associate Professor of Sociology, New York University
November 3, 2020
Elite Culture Panel
- Patricia Banks, Associate Professor of Sociology and Anthropology; faculty member of Africana Studies and the Program in Entrepreneurship, Organizations, and Society.
- Bruno Cousin, FNSP Assistant Professor of Sociology, Sciences Po; researcher at the Centre for European studies and comparative politics and at the “Cities are back in town” programme of the Urban School, France.
- Justin Farrell, Associate Professor of Sociology, Yale University; Faculty Fellow, Yale Institution for Social and Policy Studies
- Rachel Sherman, Professor of Sociology, The New School for Social Research
December 1, 2020
Alumni Book Panel: Race, Class, and Social Inequality
- Matthew Clair, Assistant Professor of Sociology, Stanford University
- Cassi Pittman Claytor, Climo Junior Professor; Acting Co-Director of African & African American Studies Minor, Case Western Reserve University
- Discussants: Lawrence Bobo and Michele Lamont
Events from Spring 2020:
Rosemary Taylor, Associate Professor of Sociology, Tufts University
Putting a Price on Suffering: The Meaning of Compensation
Nina Gheihman, Doctoral Student in Sociology, Harvard University
Veganized: How Cultural Entrepreneurs Mainstreamed a Movement
Elliot Stoller, Doctoral Student in Sociology, Harvard University
Quantification and Bureaucracy: Social Categories, Regulatory Issue Areas, and the Federal Regulatory State
Phillipa Chong, Assistant Professor of Sociology, McMaster University
Inside the Critics' Circle: Book Reviewing in Uncertain Times
Events from Fall 2019
Jared Schachner, Doctoral Student in Sociology, Harvard University
How Educational Choice Reshapes Residential Segregation's Causes and Consequences: Evidence from Los Angeles County
Anna Skarpelis, Postdoctoral Fellow, Weatherhead Center for International Affairs
Racial Architectures: A Comparative Cultural Sociological Way of Tracking Racially Supremacist State Practice Over Time
Paige Sweet, Postdoctoral Fellow, Inequality in America Initiative, Harvard University
Paradoxes of Survivorhood: Becoming Legible after Domestic Violence
Gad Yair, Professor or Sociology, Hebrew University
Ice and Fire: Culture, Intellectual Style and Emotions in German and Israeli Science
Tom Wooten, Doctoral Student in Sociology, Harvard University
The Effort Paradox: An Ethnography of Trying and Failing to Get Ahead in the Transition to Adulthood
Bernice Pescosolido, Distinguished Professor of Sociology, Indiana University
Sameness and Suicide: Challenging the Sociological Malaise in Suicide Research
Kristina Simonsen, Assistant Professor of Sociology, Aarhus University
Moralized Political Messages and Attitudes Toward Immigrants
Maleah Fekete, Doctoral Student in Sociology, Harvard University
The Changing Bargain Between the Sexes: Romance Reading in 1980 and 2016
Events from Spring 2019
Nancy Ammerman, Professor of Sociology of Religion, Boston University
Rediscovering Religion: Toward a Practice Approach to Lived Religion.
William Sewell, Jr., Frank P. Hixon Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus of Political Science and History, University of Chicago
A Concrete History of Abstraction: Explaining the Emergence of Civic Equality in Eighteenth-Century France.
Holly Hummer, Doctoral Student in Sociology, Harvard University
To Follow the Prescribed Pathway? How Women in Graduate School Make Job Decisions.
Sandra Portocarrero, Doctoral Student in Sociology, Columbia University
How Does an Organization Foster the Creation of a Stigmatized Identity? Ethnographic Evidence from an Elite University in Lima, Peru.
Kobe De Keere, Assistant Professor of Sociology, University of Amsterdam
The Confessional Jobseeker: Moralizing Occupational Gatekeeping in the Cultural and Corporate Field.
Stefan Beljean, Doctoral Student in Sociology, Harvard University
Learning to Compete: Status Reproduction and Upper-Middle-Class Youth in the United States and Germany.
Randall Collins, Dorothy Swaine Thomas Professor or Sociology, University of Pennsylvania
Three Bases of Stratification in Everyday Life: EE, EDOM, and Charismatic Solidarity.
Elena Ayala-Hurtado, Doctoral Student in Sociology, Harvard University
Denouncing/ Embracing the Fraudulent Fairytale: Spanish University Graduates’ Imagined Future Narratives.
Derek Robey, Doctoral Student in Sociology, Harvard University
What's in a Name? Renaming Projects and Recognition in the United States and Canada.